Sunday, March 6, 2022

Hampstead

We decided to spend our Sunday in Hampstead.  The trains did not go because of engineering work.  We took the tube and bus instead.

Am Sonntag waren wir den ganzen Tag in Hampstead.  Die Züge fuhren wegen Bauarbeiten nicht und daher sind wir mit Bus und U-Bahn gefahren.

We went to Mass at St. Mary's, a church that has an interesting history.  Charles de Gaulle attended Mass here whenever he was in London.

Wir haben die heilige Messe in der Marienkirche gefeiert, die eine interessante Geschichte hat.  Sogar Charles de Gaulle ist hier schon zur Kirche gegangen.  





Hampstead streets
Straßen in Hampstead

Outside of church
Kirche von außen

Mount Vernon 😀!



Haus des Schriftstellers Robert Louis Stevenson

So beautiful!
So schön!













Our next stop was the Burgh House.
Unser nächstes Ziel war das Burgh Haus.



They had several exhibitions going on.  This one had funny shoes.
Es gab mehrere Ausstellungen, so wie diese hier, mit Schuhen.









They also had one on John Burningham, who was married to Helen Oxenbury (you have probably seen some of their children's books).

Es gab auch eine Ausstellung zur Kunst von John Burningham, der mit Helen Oxenbury verheiratet war (viele kennen bestimmt die Bilderbücher der beiden).








The house also had rooms on local history.
Das Haus hatte auch einige Räume zur Lokalgeschichte.





Here, Peter is listening to poems of poets that lived in Hampstead.
Hier hört sich Peter Gedichte von Dichtern an, die in Hampstead gelebt haben.



Baum, der eine Schule war.



Warnfeuer in Hampstead während der Spanischen Armada





More funny shoes
Noch mehr lustig Schuhe

Marie-Louise von Motesiczky, österreichische Malerin

After so many interesting things, we walked by the Keats House (it was closed, but see our visits to the house with Morgana here and here) and then on to a café.  This was a related birthday treat vor Miriam.

Nach so vielen interessanten Dingen sind wir am Keats Haus vorbei (es war geschlossen, aber hier sind Bilder von unserem Besuch mit Morgana und dann auch nochmals hier) zu einem Café gegangen.  Das war auch ein verspätetes Geburtstagskaffeerinken für Miriam.

Daunt Books was close by.
Der Buchladen Daunt Books war gleich in der Nähe.

These poetry books looked interesting.
Diese Gedichtbände sahen interessant aus.



And then it was time to walk to the tube station.
Dann ging es wieder zur U-Bahn.



A new sign at the Oval Station
Ein neuer Spruch bei der Oval Station



After supper, we finally had our birthday celebration for Miriam, who turned 19 in January.
Nach dem Abendbrot haben wir endlich Miriams 19. Geburtstag nachgefeiert.

This is her fourth birthday in London.
Sie feiert schon zum vierten Mal ihren Geburtstag in London.











Happy birthday!
Herzlichen Glückwunsch!




5 comments:

  1. Such lovely photos of the birthday girl xo It's fun to see your expeditions to famous people's houses, and to see the old ones with Morgana, Jonathan and Charlotte too :) Daunt's looks like a nice place to visit. You cover much ground in one day! We've had very warm weather yesterday and today, and now there is heavy rain and wind with thunder. I guess spring is here . . definitely March weather. We should be seeing buds appearing soon on the trees. I checked our cherry tree and it was still very bare today, but several daffodils are popping up in the laundry garden. (The roses you photographed are beautiful!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we finally had a celebration for Miriam :). I remember that walk with Morgana: It was so much fun! And I do miss having Jonathan and Charlotte here. I think we have been doing a bit too much recently. My legs are not what they used to be. They get very painful after so much walking (I have bad varicose veins). But there are so many interesting things to do and see.

      Delete
    2. Jonathan and Charlotte hare having another snowstorm moving through! It is definitely a long winter for them. There are two Daunt book places we like: The one in Marylebone and the one in Hampstead. They have some other branches, but those two are the best. I am not sure what kind of roses those were, but I also thought they were so pretty :). I love the color!

      Delete
    3. I was having some trouble with my left ankle and knee. The knee is a little better, but I have to be careful with how I sit in regard to the ankle (I tend to pull my legs up underneath me when I type at the computer, and my ankle doesn't like me sitting on it!) But, I agree, that there's lots of wonderful things to see, and it's nice to walk . . I hope Charlotte will get some spring days soon!

      Delete
    4. Ha, ha, I tend to do that too, pulling up one leg to sit on it while on the couch, but then it falls asleep. I get these ligament problems in my ankles: The ligaments feel as if they get caught in the foot, which is very painful. I have to slowly stretch the foot to "free" them. And my left knee hurst because I damaged it when falling off my bike when I was in my twenties. I was so "smart" to take a shortcut over a field in the dark . . .

      Delete

Welcome and leave a comment, if you like. I look forward to reading your lines.

Willkommen auf meinem Blog. Über einen Kommentar würde ich mich sehr freuen.