Monday, May 4, 2020

Bread/Brot



I baked an Irish Soda Bread today.  The local grocery store is out of gluten-free bread, so I am back to baking my own.  I used to bake our gluten-free bread, but once I started teaching German at the college, I never really found time to so anymore.  But now, the semester is almost done and there is no bread in the store, so I am baking again.  That loaf was gone after supper.

Ich habe heute ein irisches Brot gebacken.  Der kleine Supermarkt im Nachbarort hat kein glutenfreies Brot mehr und jetzt backe ich wieder unser Brot.  Ich habe das früher immer getan, doch als ich mit dem Unterrichten beim College angefangen habe, war dafür keine Zeit mehr.  Jetzt ist das Semester fast zu Ende und es gibt kein Brot im Laden, also backe ich wieder.  Das Brot war nach dem Abendessen alle.  

We had four grosbeak males today!  Heute hatten wir vier Kernknackermännchen!
















Today is also the feast day of St. Florian.  We read about him this morning and I showed the children pictures of his church in Austria.  I visited the church many, many years ago with my family during a summer vacation in Austria.  It is the same church that Anton Bruckner is buried in.


Heute ist auch der Namenstag des heiligen Florian.  Wir haben über den Heiligen heute morgen gelesen und dann habe ich den Kindern Bilder von der Kirche gezeigt, die über dem Grab dieses Heiligen steht.  Ich habe sie vor vielen, vielen Jahren mit meiner Familie in den Sommerferien in Österreich besucht.  Auch Anton Bruckners Grab befindet sich dort.  





8 comments:

  1. Das geht mir auch immer so wenn ich Brot backe ist es ein paar Stunden später aufgegessen. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Das zweite Brot habe ich rationiert! Es durfte nur die Hälfte gegessen werden . . .

      Delete
    2. :-D Ja manchmal geht es nicht anders

      Delete
  2. Irish soda bread is a favorite of mine. Your bread must have been very good to disappear so fast.

    Sankt Florian looks like a very pretty place :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all loved it. I also made a yeast bread and that also went fast. Unfortunately, there is no yeast in the stores anymore.

      Delete
    2. No gluten free flour and no yeast! I hope the stores re-stock again soon for you.

      Delete
    3. I think there is no yeast in all of the U.S. Peter read an article about that the other day. My father told me they were having the same problem in Germany. You can also only buy one bag of regular flour here. It is limited, like toilet paper.

      Delete
    4. We ordered several bags of different gluten-free flours. Now I can bake again.

      Delete

Welcome and leave a comment, if you like. I look forward to reading your lines.

Willkommen auf meinem Blog. Über einen Kommentar würde ich mich sehr freuen.