Sunday, August 23, 2020

Church and Belated Birthday Cake/Kirche und ein später Geburstagskuchen

No, this is not the birthday cake, but Peter found different colored eggs the other day and we had them for breakfast.
Nein, das ist nicht der Geburtstagskuchen, aber Peter hat andersfarbige Eier neulich gefunden und die gab es zum Frühstück.

In church this morning, we almost hit the allowed number of people (around 40).  We are allowed to chant with masks now.  That means that we do sing some of the Mass parts, but no hymns.  Veronika was our usher again.  Some of the students are back, they are arriving over several days.

In der Kirche heute morgen haben wir fast das zulässige Maximum (um die 40) erreicht. Wir können die Messteile mit Maske singen, doch noch keine Kirchenlieder.  Veronika war die Platzanweiserin.  Einige Studenten sind wieder da, sie kommen in kleinen Gruppen im Moment an.  

Peter's organ postlude
Peters Orgelspiel nach der Messe

This afternoon. Veronika served us her birthday cake.  She has baked it herself.
Heute nachmittag hat Veronika uns ihren Geburtstagskuchen serviert.  Sie hat ihn selbst gebacken.  




It was very hot today.  Charlotte went to Lake Erie with friends.  She told us that her campus church was also very full.

Es war heute wieder sehr heiß.  Charlotte war mit Freundinnen am Eriesee.  Sie hat erzählt, daß die Unikirche heute auch sehr voll war.  







9 comments:

  1. The cake looked delicious and it was lovely to hear Peter playing the organ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, San! See my note below about Peter's playing and my mother.

      Delete
  2. Bravo Peter! I agree with San, it's lovely to hear him play. I also love having different colored eggs for breakfast in an eggcup. Yours is particularly pretty. I think I remember you posting once, that you found them in one of the Amish markets? Veronika's cake looks incredibly delicious and I'm now craving strawberry shortcake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, my father played this video for my mother and she reacted to Peter's playing. I thought this was great!

      I just read that different colored eggs are the thing to get in California. These ones he got from Wegmans, but we have gotten them locally too, but I don't remember if it was from the Amish store or another local store.

      Veronika's cake was great and gluten-free. It was perfect for a hot summer afternoon.

      Delete
  3. P.S. Lake Erie is beautiful. It's nice that Charlotte's campus is so near, and is so lovely itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lake Erie is very pretty right there. Somebody had a car and they drove there. It is about 20 minutes by car to get to the spot where they were. You can also get to it much faster, but then you don't have the park around you.

      Delete
  4. Hello Eva, I think that is such exciting and happy news that your Mom reacted to Peter's playing! My friend always used to recommend to me that I play music for my mom when I visited her in the assisted living apartment, especially music that was familiar to her, or that she liked. My friend had read an article that studies had shown music helped sooth people with memory or brain issues. My mom had a cd player that she could play music or stories on, but she had trouble working it herself. We would sit down together on her couch to listen. She usually fell asleep. Maybe you could make a video of Peter playing a few more songs for your mom to listen to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was so nice to hear about a reaction My father was so happy. Yes, I thought so too, I should record his prelude as well.

      Delete

Welcome and leave a comment, if you like. I look forward to reading your lines.

Willkommen auf meinem Blog. Über einen Kommentar würde ich mich sehr freuen.