Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Paper Making/Papier Schöpfen

The local schools have one week February break.  We are not on break, but we take advantage of craft activities offered for young people.  Today, I drove the girls to a paper making workshop in Anglica.  

Die Schulen hier haben eine Woche Februarferien.  Wir machen noch keine Ferien, aber wir nehmen die Angebote wahr, die für Kinder in dieser Woche angeboten werden.  Heute habe ich die Mädchen zu einer Klasse gefahren, wo man Papier schöpfen konnte.  

 I dropped them off at the art studio, which is located in an old mill.
Ich habe sie bei dem Kunststudio abgeliefert, das in einer alten Mühle ist.  

 I drove on to the post office: When entering it, you think that time has not moved forward during the last 100 years. 
Ich bin dann weiter zur Post gefahren: Man denkt, wenn man hineingeht, daß die Zeit seit 100 Jahren still gestanden hat.  



 It is still very wintry around here.  Everybody complained about the weather.  
Es ist hier immer noch sehr winterlich.  Alle Leute haben über das Wetter geschimpft.  

 After my post office visit, I went for a walk and found this drop box.  
Nach meinem Postamtbesuch bin ich ein wenig spazieren gegangen und habe diese "Kiste" gefunden: Man kann hier alte amerikanische Fahnen einwerfen.  

 
 After my walk, I decided I needed a cup of coffee to warm up.  I also prepared my German class.      
Nach meinem Spaziergang brauchte ich eine Tasse Kaffee zum Aufwärmen.  Ich habe auch meinen Deutschkurs vorbereitet.    


The owner of the coffee shop is a very nice older gentleman.  We chattted about the weather and local happenings.  Other people kept coming and going and all people complained about the bad roads this morning in different parts of the area.  Apparently the roads in Rochester and Rushford/Arcade must have been particularly bad.    

Der Eigentümer des Cafés ist ein sehr netter älterer Herr.  Wir haben über das Wetter und Lokalereignisse geredet.  Andere Leute sind auch gekommen und die meisten haben sehr über die schlechten Straßen heute morgen geschimpft.  In Rochester und Rushford/Arcade müssen sie besonders schlimm gewesen sein.   

Back to the print shop.  Here are the stairs leading up to the room where the workshop was being held.

Dann ging es zurück zur Druckerei.  Diese Treppe führt in den Raum, wo die Kinder waren.  



 Paper the participants made.  
Papier, das die Kinder gemacht haben.  



 These lamps were hanging on the ceiling.  I thought they were very pretty.
Diese Lampen hingen an der Decke.  Ich fand sie sehr schön.  

We got home for lunch (I had made a soup in our slow cooker).  Here, Miriam is checking her snow fort.

Zum Mittagessen waren wir wieder zu Hause (ich hatte schon eine Suppe vorgekocht).  Hier guckt Miriam, ob ihre Schneeburg auch noch hält.  

Then we drove to our local library to pick up some books.  After that, we drove on to our dance lessons (lots of driving today).  Here I am working in the library and am grading my own children's school work.

Am Nachmittag ging es dann weiter zu unserer Lokalbücherei, um vorbestellte Bücher abzuholen.  Danach ging es weiter zum Tanzen.  Während die Mädchen getanzt haben, habe ich ihre Schulaufgaben korrigiert.    


On our way home, we stopped at a grocery store.  They were playing a German pop song called 99 Luftballons!  It was so strange to hear that song from my youth in a tiny American grocery store.  

Auf dem Nachhauseweg haben wir bei einem Lebensmittelladen angehalten.  Sie haben "99 Luftballons" von Nena gespielt!  Das war so eigenartig, mitten hier auf dem Lande ein Lied aus meiner Jugend zu hören.      




And now I am back home and pretty tired after a long day.  Tomorrow, we will go to a different workshop and do some printing with an old-fashioned printing press and in the evening, one of my German students will have her senior recital.

Und jetzt bin ich wieder zu Hause und ziemlich müde.  Es war ein langer Tag.  Morgen fahren wir zu einer Klasse, in der man mit einer alten Presse drucken darf.  Abends gibt eine meiner Studentinnen ein Gesangskonzert.  



13 comments:

  1. Da war Euer Tag aber ganz schön voll! Die bunten Lampen sind richtig schön, auch die Treppe. Ich kann die Leute verstehen. Irgendwann möchte man endlich wieder Sonne haben und nicht mehr frieren und ohne Sorge mit dem Auto fahren können. 99 Luftballons - witzig! Ich erinnere mich, dass meine Amerikaner das Lied auch kannten! Ich war ganz erstaunt. Nena hat ein Haus in St.Peter Ording, das sie vermietet. Es lag genau gegenüber von dem, wo wir früher immer Urlaub gemacht haben und manchmal waren die Kinder dort übers Wochenende.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, wir hatten jetzt drei volle Tage, morgen haben wir aber nur Geige. Ja, uns reicht der Schnee und Kälte. Lustig, daß sie dort ein Haus hatte! War sie auch manchmal selbst da?

      Delete
    2. Nicht in der Zeit als wir da waren, ich glaube, die Kinder haben es mehr genutzt. Jetzt wird es vermietet.

      Delete
    3. Aha! Ist vielleicht auch zu sehr im Auge der Öffentlichkeit.

      Delete
    4. Ich habe gerade Deinen Post nochmal angeschaut nachdem Du ihn verlinkt hattest. Dabei ist mir aufgefallen, dass wir noch nie Papierschöpfen gemacht haben. Ich muss mal nachgucken ob das sehr aufwändig ist, sonst wäre das ja vielleicht auch mal was was man ausprobieren könnte.

      Delete
    5. Das ist gar nicht schwierig, man kann sogar Bastelpackungen dafür kaufen. Es wird nur alles ziemlich naß und matschig. Am besten draußen machen!

      Delete
    6. Danke Dir, ich guck gleich mal nach!

      Delete
  2. Wow! I haven't heard 99 Luftballons in such a long time. Hearing it brings back a lot of memories. I can imagine your surprise at hearing it in the grocery store. Sometimes when that happens to me, I feel like a deer caught in the headlights .. All of a sudden I'm transported back in time and reality feels strange and memory feels real. I enjoyed listening to it while staring at the bananas and pineapples! Ah, Time! You go much too fast!

    The paper workshop sounds like so much fun, and Angelica is such a pretty town. I'm sure you've posted photos of it before, but I don't remember :P I think I remember pics of the library! The coffee shop must be very nice, and the flag retirement is great!

    We have buds popping out on the callery pear trees, here, and crocuses poking their heads up already. I wish I could send you some springtime weather, and you send me a little bit of snow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you know it too. Yes, memories can do funny things. I am especially sensitive to smells. They can trigger a whole string of memories for me. Well, this grocery store is particularly ugly, there was not pretty sight near by! So I thought the bananas and pineapples were the prettiest choice. Yes, I do feel older and older myself all the time.

      Angelica has its pretty spots, but it also has lots of run-down parts. There simply is not money in this area. Yes, I have posted pictures once in a while. We like to go to the lavender festival and used to eat at the Black-Eyed Susan, but that restaurant closed. The coffee shop is tiny, but the people are so nice! I had never seen a flag retirement box before.

      I should have sent you the snow I had on my drive back from Letchworth Park today. It was blinding snow, I could not see a thing.

      Delete
    2. The town is named after Angelica Church, sister-in-law of Alexander Hamilton. The library has a special room about her and I posted pictures of that.

      Delete
    3. Ah! Sister-in-law to Alexander Hamilton . . I should see the play (if the tickets weren't so expensive!).

      Delete
    4. When I was teaching at the German Samstagsschule in Richmond, several of the women had gone to see it and liked it. They did think it was more a young people's musical, though, a bit too loud for older ears and not easy to understand. They said you did have to read the text before going.

      Delete

Welcome and leave a comment, if you like. I look forward to reading your lines.

Willkommen auf meinem Blog. Über einen Kommentar würde ich mich sehr freuen.