Saturday, September 29, 2018

St. Michael


On this beautiful day, Flora and I drove to her Nutcracker audition in the morning.  While she was auditioning, I sat in the local café, graded some homework of my German student and read Mademoiselle de Scuderi, a German novella Charlotte and I are reading right now.  I had already cooked some soup, so when we got home, lunch had been lovingly put on the table by Charlotte.


An diesem wunderschönen Tag sind Flora und ich am Morgen zum Vortanzen für die nächste Nußknackeraufführung gefahren.  Während sie getanzt hat, war ich in einem Café, habe Hausaufgaben von meiner Studentin korrigiert und in Dem Fräulein von Scuderi gelesen.  Charlotte und ich lesen das zur Zeit.  Ich hatte schon Suppe am frühen Morgen gekocht und als wir wieder zu Hause waren, hatte Charlotte liebevoll den Tisch zum Mittagessen gedeckt.  


In the afternoon we cleaned and Miriam mowed the lawn.  Am Nachmittag haben wir geputzt und Miriam hat Rasen gemäht.


In the evening, we baked our St. Michael's bread
Am Abend haben wir dann unser Michaelibrot gebacken.  . 








Peter is at the German Studies Association conference in Pittsburgh and had a few hours today to get together with Jonathan.  Jonathan sent me these pictures.


Peter ist bei einer deutschen Literaturkonferenz in Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania.  Er hatte heute für ein paar Stunden Zeit, sich mit Jonathan zu treffen, und Jonathan hat mir diese Fotos geschickt.  





 Diese Tafel erinnert an die erste deutsche evangelische Kirche in Pittsburgh.





Das alte Fort in Pittsburgh

 Father and son
Vater und Sohn

Conference Hotel
Konferenzhotel


14 comments:

  1. This is the first year we haven't made dragon bread but I am hoping to do something with Pip and Anna on Thursday as a belated celebration. Hope Flora's audition went well and I love the photo of Jonathan and Peter. Sending love to you from this side of the pond xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how sad. Did you manage to make something else on Thursday? Flora got two parts: a gingerbread child and a solider. So far she had been only a mouse. I think Jonathan and Peter had a few good hours. Sending you back love and a hug!

      Delete
    2. It looks like we could be moving next Friday so after teaching the girls I had loft sorting and clearing. Also I was a bit worried about working with yeast given my current diet. Once things have settled after the move I am sure we will get back in to feast days and baking :-) x

      Delete
    3. Wonderful! Good luck with the last little things. Will you miss your old home? I hope that the yeast problem is completely under control now.

      Delete
  2. Happy Michaelmas! I think Jonathan looks like you in the photo with his dad.

    How fun that you are reading the ETA Hoffman book. We haven't read that one, but we have read _The Nutcracker_ and enjoyed it very much. How do you and Charlotte like Mademoiselle de Scuderi? When do you hear the results of Flora's audition?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I saw that you also made a bread :). Interesting that you think he looks like me. His American grandmother always told me he looks like Peter, but I could never see that when looking at baby/toddler photos from Peter. I guess we all look at children/people differently and see different things in them.

      I think I have read aloud "The Nutcracker" in German several times so far. But I love "Das Fräulein von Scuderi." It is the forerunner to a detective story. This is my fourth or fifth time reading it. The first time, I read it when I was 14.

      Flora found out a few days later: She will be a soldier and a gingerbread child. Charlotte will the "The Christmas Spirit," Veronika an angel, and Miriam a rat. She is still looking for dancers, many from last year are dancing this year (also not taking classes) due to school commitments and also due to the parents, who simply cannot spend so much time driving to the studio. I think, this will be a small Nutcracker and also the last one.

      Delete
  3. P.S. a weekend German Studies conference sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He gave a paper and saw some of his friends, including Hans from Switzerland/California. We visited Hans when we were in California. He should have gotten his Ph. D. in German, not in political science.

      Delete
  4. P.P.S. Did anyone else sudition for the Nutcracker?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now there are a couple of good-looking fellows.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and leave a comment, if you like. I look forward to reading your lines.

Willkommen auf meinem Blog. Über einen Kommentar würde ich mich sehr freuen.