Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Daffodils and Online/Osterglocken und online


These daffodils are blooming in our neighbors' garden.
Diese Osterglocken blühen bei unseren Nachbarn.  

Online, online, online!  I seem to be living with a screen in front of my face.  And here are some other laptop activities from yesterday:

Die ganze Welt spielt sich nur noch im Computer ab: Immer hat man einen Bildschirm vor der Nase.  Also habe ich jetzt ein paar Laptopaktivitäten als Blogeintrag.  

Jonathan is taking a dance class with one of his studios in PA: Texture Contemporary Ballet.
Jonathan hat Ballettstunde mit einem seiner Studios aus Pennsylvania: Texture Contemporary Ballet.    

Flora is improving her spelling skills with Nessy (each day we do no more than 20 minutes).  I normally do not use computer programs to teach basic skills, but I chose Nessy to give her some extra help with her spelling skills because it targets the weak areas of each student and only practices what a particular student struggles with.  NF1 children often struggle with spelling due to memory problems.  Sometimes her mistakes are similar to mistakes a dyslexic child would make, but then they are again different.  So we are using lots of different spelling helps: Spelling You See, Sequential Spelling, and I See, I Spell, I Learn.

Hier übt Flora englische Rechtschreibung.  Normalerweise benutze ich keine Computerprogramme, um Grundlagen wie Lesen, Rechnen und Schreiben beizubringen.  Aber Kinder, die NF1 haben, haben oft Lernschwierigkeiten, besonders auch in der Rechtschreibung.  Wir benutzen verschiedene Programme auf Papier, die ihr weiterhelfen, aber Nessy, ein Computerprogramm, stimmt das Übungsmaterial auf das Können des jeweiligen Schülers ab.  Daher ist es für Flora sinnvoll.       

 Miriam is watching part of a math video, which is really fascinating.  
Miriam sieht einen Teil eines Mathevideos, was sehr spannend ist.  


The girls also had their ballet class online today.  Charlotte had several classes online and Peter taught with Zoom.  And then Miriam had a live discussion of The Death of Ivan Ilyich with Center for Lit. 

Die Mädchen hatten heute auch ihre Ballettstunde mit ihrer Lehrerin live online.  Charlotte hatte auch mehrere Seminare auf diese Weise und Peter hat online unterrichtet.  Und dann hatte Miriam noch eine live Literaturklasse über das Buch Der Tod des Iwan Iljitsch.

And now a picture that is not with a computer!
Hier aber noch ein Foto ohne Computer!

Oh, and in case you have not heard, Tomie dePaola died.  We were just reading one of his books the other day.

Und nun noch eine traurige Nachricht: Der Kinderbuchautor Tomie dePaola ist gestorben.  Wir haben neulich noch ein Buch von ihm gelesen.  Einige seiner Bücher gibt es auch auf Deutsch, z. B. Die heiligen Drei Könige.  



4 comments:

  1. I'm sad to hear about Tomie de Paola. He's one of our favorite authors and I feel his books always offer such a beautiful message of love and laughter.

    Oh my goodness! I feel your frustration and resignation in regard to the internet :) I think many of us will be happy for face to face interaction again . . one of these days. It's amazing how we don't know when that will be. I guess we need to be thankful that we do have the ability to learn with each other from so far away via online connections.

    How is your family in Germany, Eva? I hope they are doing alright and that your mom continues to be stable. Sending you a big hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, they are all fine. I do worry a bit about my dad because he used to have asthma as a child. He is careful, but he still goes grocery shopping. My mother is not in the Coronavirus hospital anymore. I am very relieved. My siblings and families are all healthy.

      Yes, the internet can be a curse and a blessing. I am thankful to have it, but I don't want it to become the center of my life.

      Delete
  2. Bless Flora for trying to follow a ballet class vis zoom, I think I would find it hard. Pip now has her maths lessons via Skype and that seems to be working quite well but we are waiting for the music teacher to set up something online if possible. Thanks for the spelling links as I'm sure Pip is borderline dyslexic so will check out the links. It was sad news to read about Tomie de Paola we love his books especially the Strega Nona Christmas but I had no idea that there are several Strega Nona books, will have to see if I can get hold of the others. Jonathan's April fool was classic, I reckon he has his Dad's sense of humour, if Peter was ever unable to send out the Christmas newsletter, I'm sure Mr J would be a worthy stand in :-) Well I shall sig off as the computer is required by Dave, sending much love, hugs and prayers xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The acoustics is not the best and that confuses her quite a bit. Nessy is actually a British site. We do the American version, but there is a British one. Do you know the books "Toe by Toe" and "The Hornet"? We discovered them in London. I should have listed them as well. We really like them and they have been helpful.

      Yes, Tomie de Paola has written many beautiful books.

      Jonathan can be quite funny :). Maybe one day Jonathan will write letters like that. Peter's father has also done so and his are quite funny too. Thanks for the hugs, love, and prayers. I am also sending those to you and your family.

      Delete

Welcome and leave a comment, if you like. I look forward to reading your lines.

Willkommen auf meinem Blog. Über einen Kommentar würde ich mich sehr freuen.