Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Snow and More/Schnee usw.

It is snowing!  How impolite!
Es schneit, so etwas Unhöfliches!




Veronika used up all the egg whites we had left over from Easter baking to make these wonderful meringues.

Veronika hat alle Eiweiß, die noch von der Osterbäckerei übrig waren, aufgebraucht und diese wunderbaren Makronen gebacken.

Chemistry experiment for Flora
Chemieexperiment für Flora

We are lighting a candle that is sitting on a plate filled with water.
Wir entzünden eine Kerze, die auf einem Teller steht, auf dem sich Wasser befindet.

Then we placed an empty jar over the candle.
Danach haben wir ein leeres Glas über die Kerze gestülpt.

The candle stopped burning and the used up oxygen was replaced by water that got sucked up into the jar.
Die Kerze ist ausgegangen und an die Stelle des verbrauchten Sauerstoffs trat Wasser in das Glas.

For the Romantic period in literature, Veronika and I have been working through our English textbook (paid link) and also have watched this documentary on William Wordsworth and this one on William Blake.  She is also completing these worksheets that include literature, art, and music.

Veronika und ich haben verschiedene Dokumentationsfilme über englische Romantiker gesehen und bisher Gedichte von William Blake and William Wordsworth gelesen.  Dazu macht Veronika auch Arbeitsblätter, die auch die romantischen Ideen in der Musik und der Kunst ansprechen.  

More snow
Mehr Schnee

On Sunday, we lit two candles for my relatives, both of whom were buried on Saturday: My Aunt Erika and my second cousin Cornelia.  I remember many beautiful hikes with Cornelia in the Swiss Jura Mountains.  She even took Jonathan and Charlotte horseback riding there.  We had kept in touch vial e-mail and it is very sad that she passed away.

Am Sonntag haben wir in der Kirche zwei Kerzen angezündet.  Meine Tante Erika und mein Kusine zweiten Grades, Cornelia, sind beide am Samstag beerdigt worden.  Ich werde nie die schönen Wanderungen mit Cornelia im Jura vergessen.  Sie ist sogar mal mit Jonathan und Charlotte dort reiten gegangen.  Wir haben bis vor einem Monat noch mit E-Mail Neuigkeiten ausgetauscht und es ist sehr traurig, daß sie gestorben ist.

View from Cornelia's balcony
Blick von Cornelias Balkon

I have to send our third quarterly reports to the local school and tell them what tests we would like to do.  Veronika will do the timed CAT test (all her older siblings went through all the levels) and Flora will either do the PASS test (the one I prefer for the lower grades and have administered to the others when they were younger) or the untimed CAT test.  

Ich muß unser drittes Quartalszeugnis an die Schulbehörde senden und ihnen mitteilen, welche Tests wir machen wollen.  Veronika macht den CAT Test (alle ihre älteren Geschwister haben diesen Test jedes Schuljahr in den oberen Klassen gemacht) und Flora entweder den PASS Test (den ich für alle Kinder in den unteren Klassen mache) einen anderen CAT Test, den ich noch nicht benutzt habe.  

And this is a greeting from Jonathan: You can try to find him!
Und hier noch ein Gruß von Jonathan: Vielleicht können meine Leser ihn finden!



6 comments:

  1. I can't believe you had more snow today! The meringues look delicious and very pretty, and thanks for sharing the links for the documentaries - I might watch while knitting. I'm sorry to hear about your cousin too, Eva. I'm glad you have such nice memories and it's fun to think of Jonathan and Charlotte horse back riding in the Swiss Jura Mountains :) I always enjoyed that particular Chemistry experiment . . how the flame gets snuffed out when it uses up all the oxygen. Good luck to Veronika and Flora on their tests! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we should be done with snow! Those documentaries are quite well done. We have had quite a few funerals in my family within the last six months: two of my aunts, my second cousin, my other second cousin's husband, my brother's father-in-law, my father's former boss, whom I knew well, and my little brothers' nanny. It is really hard on my father. I was quite close to my Swiss relatives (well, they were originally from Germany). With each death, a part of my childhood and youth is dying. Yes, those experiments are fun! We won't do the tests until May, but I had to make up my mind about Flora's. I decided to stick to the PASS test.

      Delete
    2. Good decision, I think, to stick with the PASS.
      That is quite a few funerals, Eva, your poor dad. It's not easy, nor for you. Time goes too fast . . . and change is the only constant (I think that was Heraclitus).

      Delete
    3. We will do that version of the CAT test grade 9 and up with her. The CAT from Seton is timed, but I am pretty sure that Flora will do better with an untimed one. The new CAT I found is untimed!

      Delete
  2. P.S. We didn't have snow, but it is once again very chilly outside and I had to bundle up again in long sleeves, a sweater and jacket and my shoes, rather than a tee-shirt and sandals. Funny weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here with putting on our winter coats, even today.

      Delete

Welcome and leave a comment, if you like. I look forward to reading your lines.

Willkommen auf meinem Blog. Über einen Kommentar würde ich mich sehr freuen.