Monday, September 19, 2022

Living History/Lebendige Geschichte

No regular lessons today (well, there was Hebrew and ballet and I taught German).  We watched the Queen's funeral on BBC instead.  It was very moving and we remembered our many times in London.

Heute war bei uns sozusagen unterrichtsfrei (bis auf Hebräisch und Ballett und Deutsch für meine Studenten).  Wir haben das Begräbnis der Königin bei BBC angeschaut.  Es war sehr feierlich und ergreifend.  Wir mußten natürlich auch an unsere vielen Besuche in London denken.





Knight Jonathan in London in 2004
Ritter Jonathan 2004 in London

Here he is celebrating his little sister's (Miriam's) first birthday in London.
Hier feiert er den ersten Geburtstag seiner kleinen Schwester Miriam in London.

Evening sky tonight
Abendhimmel heute abend



8 comments:

  1. It was very moving. When I saw the Corgis at the gate that had me teary eyed. I really enjoyed reading Jonathan’s latest substack post, my you are a clever family ❤️ I love the pictures that you have shared, utterly sweet xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, the Queen was just a few years younger than my grandmother. She has always reminded me a lot of my grandmother. My grandmother was a true lady, very refined and always looked elegant. I had a very good relationship with her and when she died, I was heartbroken. She still sometimes appears in my dreams. And Prince Philip was a bit like my grandfather. Yes, we saw the Corgis and Emma, the pony. Flora was very moved! Maybe she would have gotten along with the Queen because of their shared love for dogs :). Thanks for your kind words about Jonathan's post. I thought he did a good job (I always send him my thoughts and suggestions). To think that I taught him to read and write in a language that is not my own . . . And that first time in London was so different: Three small children, a stroller, a new country, etc. I felt very lost and "foreign." But we had a good time and Jonathan still remembers a lot. Charlotte was not so happy because she is my nature girl and there was not enough of it in London. After England, we went to Switzerland and she blossomed again. We stayed at a farm and she got to feed the pigs and be with the farmer. That was more her cup of tea. Miriam was a terrific bus and tube rider: She found it fascinating and never complained.

      Delete
  2. When I saw those photos I really admired you being a strange place with three small children ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lonely at times because Peter was gone most of the time with the students, but I could not really go along with three small children in tow. Also, back then, you could not really use the tube and the busses with a stroller. There was no way to get onto a bus or down to the tube stations unless you had somebody else to help you.

      Delete
  3. Ich war auch geschockt als ich die Nachricht gelesen habe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to hear about your early memories of London.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and leave a comment, if you like. I look forward to reading your lines.

Willkommen auf meinem Blog. Über einen Kommentar würde ich mich sehr freuen.