Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Books/Bücher

We finished Krabat (we read it in German) and A Tale of Two Cities today.  We also started a new evening read-aloud book: The Family Under the Bridge.  Our last read-aloud was the biography of Erich Kästner in German: Als ich ein kleiner Junge war, which we all liked a lot.  (All links paid Amazon links.)

Wir haben Krabat (auf Deutsch) und Eine Geschichte aus zwei Städten (auf Englisch) zu Ende gelesen.  Und heute abend haben wir mit einem neuen Abendvorlesebuch angefangen: The Family Under the Bridge, das es leider nicht auf Deutsch gibt.  Unser letztes Buch, das wir abends gelesen haben, war die Biographie von Erich Kästner: Als ich ein kleiner Junge war, die uns gut gefallen hat.  

Veronika started taking the CAT Survey test.  I visited our neighbors today.  They had taken care of our house and took our car to the shop to have the tires fixed.  We had a thank-you note and present for them.  They told me that a BEAR is in the neighborhood.  It bent their birdfeeder and ruined it completely.  In the afternoon, I drove our car to the next village to pick up some library books and do some grocery shopping.  We ran into Flora's art teacher from last year's county summer program.  She was eager to have Flora back this summer.  I "talked" with Jonathan via Google Hangouts and he sent me the picture below of a café he was working at.  He had just finished working for his internship.  

Veronika hat mit ihrem Abschlußtest für das Schuljahr angefangen.  Heute morgen habe ich die Nachbarn besucht.  Sie haben sich um unser Haus gekümmert und auch unser Auto in die Werkstatt gebracht, weil es einen platten Reifen hatte.  Wir haben ihnen ein Geschenk mitgebracht und eine Karte geschrieben.  Sie haben mir erzählt, daß letzte Woche ein BÄR in ihrem Garten war und ihr Vogelhäuschen zerstört hätte.  Also müssen wir wohl jetzt ein wenig aufpassen.  Nachmittags waren wir im Nachbarort in der Bücherei und haben ein wenig eingekauft.  Ich bin zum ersten Mal nach langer Pause wieder Auto gefahren.  Wir haben Floras Kunstlehrerin von ihren Sommerkursen von letztem Jahr getroffen.  Die Lehrerin wollte wissen, ob Flora wieder einen Sommerkurs bei ihr machen wird, weil sie so gerne mit Flora zusammengearbeitet hat.  Mit Jonathan habe ich mich über Google Hangouts "unterhalten": Er hat mir ein Foto von einem Café geschickt, in dem er gerade gearbeitet hat.  Er war für den Tag mit seinem Praktikum fertig.  



19 comments:

  1. How did everyone like _A Tale of Two Cities_? _The Family Under the Bridge_ looks good. I'll have to find it to read. I just finished _The Boy with the Bronze Axe_ because I had never read it before, and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does Jonathan like the cafe he's working at, and the internship?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He only takes his laptop there to work. I think this was a new café he tried and he liked it. The internship is good so far. He is a research assistant. He had to read a book today and write a summary.

      Delete
    2. Such good experience, and I hope he finds it interesting :)

      Delete
  3. This is the third time I'm writing this comment! Your page kept reloading and it would disappear:

    I keep hearing about bears in populated areas lately! I think they keep having less of their own places to roam in, and to find food.

    Will Flora attend the art class, and how did everyone like _A Tale of Two Cities_?

    _The Family Under the Bridge_ looks good. I just read _The Boy with the Bronze Axe_ as I had never read it before and I thought it was interesting that the museum in London mentioned it (I enjoyed it!). I'd like to look up that post of yours again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very strange, I have not had this happen to me. Well, I think around here, not much has changed and the bears normally don't appear in spring. I have not seen him, though. But I keep looking out for him. Yes, she will take the art class: it's free :). I think the book was fine. I have to admit that Dickens is not quite my cup of tea, but I do like his characters. I thought the end was a bit quick or sudden or maybe just a bit strange. It seemed to me that heh wanted to be done with the story, but that is probably just me. So far, the "Family Under the Bridge" is quite nice. The author of "The Boy with the Bronze Axe" is quite popular in Great Britain, but rather unknown here. I am glad you liked it. We did too. I would love to go and see the places mentioned in the book!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I would love to visit the places mentioned! I looked everything up on a map. It must be beautiful there.

      I think it's funny that Dickens isn't quite to your liking and you found the end a bit quick, as I never reached the end of the Neverending Story . . it went on a bit too long and became a little to violent for me. Whereas, A Tale of Two Cities is one of my favorite books. LOL (though I suppose the end of "Two Cities" is a bit violent too!) Anyway . . I do enjoy Dickens! Louisa May Alcott is another one of my favorite writers, and I remember you saying that she was maybe a bit dull for you? Or for the girls? We all have different tastes. But we do both love Rilke!

      Delete
    3. I loved the "Neverending Story" and read it three times. It might be a German-English thing. Literature in a foreign language is always harder to read, even if it is a translation. I think something gets lost, maybe a bit of the author's personality? I thought the girls liked Louisa May Alcott when they were younger, but I have not read her books, only watched "Little Women" as movie. Yes, we both like Rilke :).

      Delete
    4. Yes, even if a translator is very good, I think there can be a very subtle difference in the ambiance . . the atmosphere that is inherent in each language.

      Delete
    5. Yes, and you always read any book with your first language being present. I do think that your mother tongue has a huge influence on how you perceive literature.

      Delete
  4. Ein Bär im Garten? Ach Du meine Güte, dann würde ich auch aufpassen, kommen sie meist in der Dämmerung raus oder nachts oder doch tagsüber? Es gibt ja auch immer wieder Menschen die Wildtiere füttern und es dann für alle gefährlich machen. Das Cafe sieht sehr nett aus, in dem Jonathan war!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, das habe ich auch gedacht! Ein Bär im Garten gegenüber . . . Sie können zu jeder Zeit rumlaufen, in Kanada habe ich sie nur tagsüber gesehen. Einmal ist einer auf einem Schulhof rumgelaufen! Es ist aber eher ungewöhnlich sie jetzt bei den Menschen zu sehen, weil sie eigentlich genug Essen finden sollten, ohne sich Menschen nähern zu müssen. Das Café hat ihm wohl gut gefallen.

      Delete
    2. Das wäre mir auf jeden Fall unheimlich, wobei ich sagen muss, dass man sich hier mit zunehmender Wolfpopulation überall auch nicht mehr so ganz wohl fühlt.

      Delete
    3. Bei meinen Eltern haben die Wölfe jetzt Schafe und Ziegen gerissen.

      Delete
    4. Das ist ein heikles Thema ich bin kein Freund von der wieder Ansiedlung von Wölfen gewesen und finde das für die Bauern auch echt eine Zumutung.

      Delete
    5. Ich finde diese Idee, ehrlich gesagt, ganz verrückt. Es gibt Geschichten und Geschichten über die Gefährlichkeit von Wölfen und jetzt stellt man sie sich freiwillig sozusagen in den Garten? Das macht doch keinen Sinn.

      Delete

Welcome and leave a comment, if you like. I look forward to reading your lines.

Willkommen auf meinem Blog. Über einen Kommentar würde ich mich sehr freuen.