Friday, September 29, 2023

Michaelmas/Michaeli


Ready to make a harvest loaf for Michaelmas
Wir backen unser traditionelles Michaelibrot.



"Once there was a fair and beautiful land.  It was difficult to say whether the hills were fairer than the valleys, or whether the plains were more beautiful than the forests, but the people who lived there were happy and busy and their faces shone as they worked so that the whole land glowed with a bright light.  (All Year Round)

But the time came when darkness fell upon this land, for through its valleys writhed a mighty dragon, foaming and lashing his tail.

When autumn time came, the Archangel Michael bent near to the earth and spoke to the farmers, "Harvest the good grain, " he commanded them, "grind it into flour.  Mix a dough and knead it well."

And then we formed some dragons.
Dann haben wir Drachen geformt.



While the dragons and bread were baking, we redecorated our seasonal table.
Während die Drachen und das Brot gebacken haben, haben wir unseren Jahreszeitentisch neu dekoriert.



Done!
Fertig!

We also decorated a candle, but did not have the right colors of our decorating wax, so our dragon looks a bit like modern art.
Wir haben auch eine Kerze dekoriert, aber leider hatten wir keine guten Farben an Wachsfolien mehr.  Unser Drache sieht also ein wenig "modern" aus.












And we are still in the process of making dragon transparencies.
Und wir sind noch dabei Drachentransparentpapierbilder zu machen.



Because I had to teach today and I am supposed to take it easy, we could not drive to the Waldorf school to participate in their Michaelmas celebration, but we had a nice day nevertheless, including an autumn walk.  Flora had her violin lesson, Charlotte taught at the academy and also helped "her village children" with homeschooling, Veronika took over those children for an hour and raked leaves with them while Charlotte taught, Miriam is off for a camping weekend at a lake, and Jonathan is studying hard, but also had a Michaelmas celebration with fellow Catholic law students.

Weil ich heute unterrichten mußte und mich noch schonen muß, konnten wir nicht zur Waldorfschule fahren, um dort Michaeli zu feiern.  Trotzdem hatten wir einen schönen Tag und sind sogar kurz spazieren gegangen.  Flora hatte auch Geige, Charlotte hat ihre Freitagsklasse an der Akademie unterrichtet und sich um ihre "Dorfhomeschoolkinder" gekümmert, Veronika hat diese Kinder übernommen und mit ihnen Blätter geharkt, während Charlotte unterrichtet hat, Miriam geht dieses Wochenende mit anderen Studenten zum Camping und Jonathan arbeitet fleißig, doch gab es bei ihm auch eine Michaeli mit anderen katholischen Jurastudenten.

Miriam: Lake in New Hampshire
Miriam: See in New Hampshire


St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God, cast into hell Satan and all the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen.

Heiliger Erzengel Michael, beschirme uns im Kampfe
gegen die Bosheiten und Nachstellungen des Teufels.
Sei Du unsere Schutzwehr; Gott gebiete ihm mit Macht,
wir bitten demütig darum.
Und Du, Fürst der himmlischen Heerscharen,
stürze den Satan und die anderen bösen Geister,
die zum Verderben der Seelen in der Welt umherwandern,
mit göttlicher Kraft in die Hölle hinab. Amen.


9 comments:

  1. Sending hugs to you Eva, I hope you are making a good recovery. Your seasonal tables always make me smile xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, San. I hope that this really did the trick and I will be eventually pain-free. I am glad you like our decorations :).

      Delete
  2. You had a lovely Michaelmas celebration together! Your dragons were well crafted :) I'm sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well Eva. I hope you're soon better. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I knew if I read further there would be an explanation for why you weren't feeling well . . I know it must not have been a fun procedure, but I think you made the right decision. I hope it heals well and you are soon feeling better. It might take a little while. I've found that it takes longer for the pain to go completely away when there is work done on my teeth. Do you need a spacer to keep your other teeth from moving because of the gap from the tooth being gone? I send you a big hug xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it was the right decision, but there was not really anything else to do, although no dentist could find any reason for my ongoing pain. It is healing slowly, the tooth was hard to get out because it had the crown and the root canal. I did like the surgeon a lot. He explained everything he was doing and was gentle in pulling the tooth. He even called me after the surgery when I had e-mailed him a question :). I think it will take at least another two weeks to heal. Right now I am eating soft food and am not chewing on the one side. No spacer because I have lots of space anyway and most of my teeth are not together. Also, it was the molar next to the wisdom tooth they pulled last year, hoping the removal of that wisdom tooth would remove the pain, which it did not. If the pain continues, I am not sure what else to try. Thanks for the hug!

      Delete
    2. Oh . . here's hoping time helps . .

      Delete

Welcome and leave a comment, if you like. I look forward to reading your lines.

Willkommen auf meinem Blog. Über einen Kommentar würde ich mich sehr freuen.