Thursday, August 31, 2023

Buffalo, Moon, Turkeys/Buffalo, Mond, Truthähne

Driving back from the airport (Here, Peter is driving and the traffic is not so bad anymore.)
Rückfahrt vom Flughafen (Hier fährt jetzt Peter und der Verkehr ist nicht mehr so schlimm.)

Train tracks
Gleise

I am very proud of myself because I drove all the way to the Buffalo Airport to return the rental car we needed to move Jonathan into his dorm.  I drove our car and Peter drove the rental.  There was lots of traffic, probably because people are going to celebrate Labor Day weekend.  

Ich bin auf mich sehr stolz, weil ich bis zum Flughafen in Buffalo gefahren bin, um das Auto abzugeben, das wir mieten mußten, um Jonathan bei seinem Einzug ins Studentenwohnheim zu helfen.  Peter hat den Mietwagen gefahren und ich unser Auto.  Es herrschte viel Verkehr, weil "Labor Day Weekend" (Tag der Arbeit) bevorsteht.  Da machen alle noch einmal Ausflüge, bevor die Schulen wieder anfangen.  

We will have finished our first college week by tomorrow, and so will have  Miriam.  She has the same roommate as last year and already saw her first turkey on campus.  Speaking of turkeys: Jonathan also saw one on campus!  Charlotte will have also finished teaching her first week at the Christian school in town.  She has nice students and is enjoying her work.  

Jonathan's turkey
Jonathans Truthahn

Morgen ist schon eine Woche des neuen Semesters bei uns und Miriam um.  Miriam hat die gleiche Mitbewohnerin wie letztes Mal und sie hat auch schon einen Truthahn auf dem Campus gesehen.  Apropos Truthahn: Auch bei Jonathan gab es einen auf dem Campus.  Charlotte hat schon eine Woche bei der christlichen Schule im Ort unterrichtet.  Sie hat nette Schüler und ihre Arbeit macht ihr Spaß.  

Flora took these pictures of the moon: She had her first CenterforLit class today and liked it a lot.



Flora hat dieses Fotos vom Mond gemacht.  Sie hatte heute zum ersten Mal eine live online Literaturklasse, die sie sehr mochte.



4 comments:

  1. Such beautiful photos of the moon! I think it's nice Miriam has the same roommate . . good luck to Jonathan at his new school and congrats on doing so well with the drive to Buffalo :) I put up a few new posts and my eyes feel tired now. I'll catch up again tomorrow. I'm trying to not do too much screen time :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are out there looking at the moon again. We have had some very pretty moon nights.

      It was such a nightmare to get him moved in. Only Peter went with him (and the rental van). The traffic was unbelievable and around his dorm there were no parking spots and just one-way streets. They had to park very far away and carry all those boxes a long way! And then it turned out that Jonathan was not allowed to enter his dorm because he was missing two vaccines: a second chickenpox and a new DTaP. His last one was too old and I think NY only does one chickenpox vaccine. They also require a flu shot, but he can wait until December with that. They told him he could get vaccinated that afternoon for chickenpox and DTaP. Otherwise he could not have stayed. I thought that was very strange. He is not a child anymore! They did not want the meningitis vaccine, which surprised me. Most colleges are very strict about that one.

      Returning that rental car was hard on my nerves: I hate driving on the I-90 around Buffalo. When I go to the airport myself, I go on Transit Road, but we were in a rush and had to take the big roads. There was so much traffic and there are so many lanes. Peter thought I drove like a pro, but I certainly did not feel like one. I think I tensed my shoulders very much.

      I have to take a look at your posts, I am trying to get everything ready for our new school year. Right now I am rearranging bookshelves. It is very dusty work. Is the decision to not spend so much time online related to your eyes?

      Delete
    2. Yes, I think staring at the screen causes some eyestrain . . Driving can be so stressful! I have a lot of tension in my face and neck which I'm trying to alleviate with yoga and acupuncture . . I thought I had found a good acupuncturist but my second meeting with her was not as good as the first, and she also doesn't take my insurance. So, I'm looking for someone else now in our plan. I could not find time for all this when taking care of the children, or the money. Thankfully, now I can put more time and energy into my health . . before it gets worse! How are your teeth? Have you found any relief yet?

      (And I agree that rearranging books is dusty work!)

      I'm also very surprised at the required vaccines for Jonathan! Very frustrating, and I'm sorry they had such a difficult time moving in. I hope he can settle down comfortably now and focus on his studies.

      Delete
    3. I once saw an acupuncturist for tension headaches and, although she was friendly, she put all her needles into me and then forgot about me! She was also expensive and I never went back (that was still in Germany). Her treatment did not make a difference anyway. I am sorry to hear that yours does not seem to do the trick either. I think for tension in face and neck physical therapy and soft tissue massage/chiropractic care are better. Many physical therapists are covered by insurances. So true, when you have to take care of children, you cannot "be sick" yourself. I think there are two things going on with that one tooth: The root canal/crown have not helped the pain I had from the filling. It has actually gotten worse. Somehow the root canal filling material must bother my bone or gums and the pain causes my neck and face to hurt. The chiropractor has helped with the facial pain and neck pain, but he cannot help with the pain coming from the tooth area. I have made an appointment with an oral surgeon to have that tooth pulled, but that is not until the end of the month. It was hard to get an appointment. In the meantime I am going to the chiropractor every two weeks to do as much as I can to keep the pain at bay. I hope that once the tooth is gone, my body will get back to normal.

      I just read that Harvard has been ranked the worst school for free speech: I guess making your own decisions about vaccinations is not allowed there. He says his classes are not that different than at Georgetown. We will see how he likes it in a few weeks.

      Delete

Welcome and leave a comment, if you like. I look forward to reading your lines.

Willkommen auf meinem Blog. Über einen Kommentar würde ich mich sehr freuen.