Thursday, September 30, 2021

St. Jerome and the Lion/Hieronymus und der Löwe


Paid link

We read this book about St. Jerome and the lion today because it is his feast day.
Wir haben dieses Buch heute über den heiligen Hieronymus gelesen, dessen Tag wir heute feiern.

I did not drive around Buffalo today, only back and forth to ballet without hitting deer, skunks, or similar critters.  I did not teach my German student today (because she was sick), but I did teach my own three here (which is plenty of work).  Miriam and I listened to a lecture about the Enlightenment.  Veronika and I finished Eating the Plates (paid link) and learned a lot about what the pilgrims ate.  Flora and I are in Ancient Greece right now.  We learned all about olives on Crete.  Flora also colored a map of Ancient Greece.  These are the main points of our day, there was more to it, but it is again very late and so I just say "Good night."      


 

Heute bin ich nicht in Buffalo rumgefahren, aber ich habe die Mädchen zum Ballett gebracht und auch wieder nach Hause und dabei keine Rehe, Stinktiere oder ähnliches Getier tot gefahren.  Heute habe ich auch nicht meine Deutschstudentin unterrichtet, weil sie krank war, aber ich habe meine drei Mädchen unterrichtet, was schon Arbeit genug ist.  Mit Miriam habe ich einen Vortrag über die Aufklärung gehört, mit Veronika habe ich ein Kinderbuch über die Eßgewohnheiten der Pilgerväter gelesen und mir Flora habe ich mich mit der Olivenernte auf Kreta im Rahmen unserer Studien über das alte Griechenland beschäftigt.  Flora hat auch eine Landkarte von Griechenland angemalt.  Das waren so die Höhepunkte des Tages, es gab noch viele kleine andere Dinge, aber es ist schön spät und so sage ich "Gute Nacht".  




4 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful little film Eva. Thanks for posting it. I visited Athens once years ago .. have you ever been to Greece?

    Eating the Plates looks very interesting! I haven't read it but think I should :) My sister would like it too. It sounds like it was a nice homeschooling day for you xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I have never been to Greece! Greece was always one of those countries that were too far and too expensive for a family with six children when I was growing up. I thought the film was very authentic and sweet.

      The book is really good, it is written for children, so it is a fast read. They did not like vegetables and fruit and thought that deer meat was only for rich people. And all those bugs they had in the food on the ships! Today, we read about red worms and spiders that were crawling out of the hardtack. But there was nothing else to eat and so you ate it. They also longed for good beer, their main beverage. And they did not drink milk.

      Delete
  2. P.S. I'm assuming the book is from your library! It's really wonderful how they still carry these older editions. I love old books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is ours, bought at a library book sale, but the library still has a copy.

      Delete

Welcome and leave a comment, if you like. I look forward to reading your lines.

Willkommen auf meinem Blog. Über einen Kommentar würde ich mich sehr freuen.