Saturday, April 30, 2016

Draken Harald Hårfagre


With great anticipation we have waited for the departure of the viking ship Draken from Norway.  She will sail to the United States and we hope to go and see her when she is close by.  You can watch her progress here.  And here is a map with all the places she will land.  To learn more about the expedition, read here.  


Mit großer Spannung haben wir die Abfahrt des Wikingerschiffes Draken Harald erwartet.  Das Schiff wird nach Amerika segeln.  Es wird auch hier in der Nähe sein, und wir hoffen, es dann sehen zu können.  Man kann ein wenig auf Deutsch über diese Reise hier lesen.  Dort sind auch verschiedene Links.  


We cleaned today and Peter went grocery shopping.  I just finished mending the robe of one of our altar boys.  It was held together at the neck by a safety pin, not a pretty sight.

Wir haben heute geputzt, und Peter hat Lebensmittel eingekauft.  Ich habe eben ein Meßdienergewand für einen Jungen in unserer Gemeinde geflickt.  Man mußte es am Hals mit einer Sicherheitsnadel verschließen, was nicht so hübsch war.  


6 comments:

  1. I will have to show the video and the links to Benedict and Pip. My mum in law made the albs for the servers at their church, my dad who was MC at the time asked her as the old albs were looking decidedly shabby. Dad gave up his role only a few weeks ago, he'd been doing the job for thirty years! He was awarded a solid silver medal from the Guild of St Stephen at his twenty fifth anniversary and at his leaving mass the servers had bought and had engraved a beautiful pocket watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This voyage is really exciting, I think. They are trying to sail the way Eric the Red and Leif the Lucky must have sailed.

      MC: Master of Ceremonies? Is that a normal position in every British church? I think only the cathedral in Buffalo has such a person. That is quite impressive of your parents-in-law! I think there seems to be nobody in charge of those robes (as they are called here), so today I asked Jonathan to get me two more for washing and mending. I have decided to take them home, one by one, so they will get washed and, if necessary, mended.

      Delete
  2. Wow! It's so good that you are taking care of the robes!

    The Viking Expedition is very exciting. Thanks so much for posting about it. I sent a link to my sister and Chanda is really looking forward to the fall now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter was joking that they should pay me for that . . . I just do not like when they do not look clean. I did something similar in our old church because nobody seemed to care. I think I will also replace some of the ropes. The red ones for the older boys are all worn through.

      Yes, that expedition is really wonderful. We look every day and I thought you would be happy to find out that the ship is also coming to your area.

      Delete
    2. It's good you are doing the robes because, well, someone has to do so! Kudos to you :) If you ever move someone else will have to step up :) Someone did so in the past, but they must have moved away . . or passed away.

      Delete
    3. That is true, sometimes it is good to just do it when nobody seems to be responsible for something. Probably some older ladies used to do this, but they might have passed away or are simply not capable of doing this anymore.

      Delete

Welcome and leave a comment, if you like. I look forward to reading your lines.

Willkommen auf meinem Blog. Über einen Kommentar würde ich mich sehr freuen.