Friday, July 3, 2026

Flora's Trip/Floras Reise

Flora is going on a trip to the Midwest to attend a theatre camp.  Of course, she is not driving herself (we are still working on having her take her written driving test so she can start practice driving), but Peter is taking her.  We all drove to the rental car place in Olean yesterday where they hopped into a rental car to start their first part of the journey to Inidiana.  Miriam and I did some grocery shopping and stopped at Marshalls and then went home.  It has been unbearably hot here, and our fans are running all the time.  People around here do not have air-conditioning.

Flora macht eine Reise in den Mittleren Westen, um an einem Theaterferienlager teilzunehmen.  Natürlich fährt sie nicht alleine (sie übt immer noch für den schriftlichen Teil der Fahrprüfung, damit sie später im Sommer endlich mit dem praktischen Fahren anfangen kann), sondern Peter fährt sie.  Gestern sind wir alle nach Olean gefahren, wo Peter und Flora in einen Mietwagen gestiegen sind, um den ersten Teil der Reise bis nach Indiana anzutreten.  Miriam und ich haben ein paar Lebensmittel eingekauft und waren in einem Kleiderladen.  Dann sind wir wieder nach Hause gefahren.  Es ist hier in der letzten Woche unerträglich heiß gewesen und unsere Ventilatoren laufen auf Hochtouren (wir haben keine Klimaanlage).

Flora sent me these pictures from her trip: Lake Chautauqua.
Flora hat mir diese Fotos von ihrer Reise geschickt: Chautauqua See.

Entering Pennsylvania
Grenzübergang nach Pennsylvanien

Lake Erie
Eriesee

Cleveland









8 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos Eva! This is such a fun adventure for Flora and Peter xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are both having a good time. Flora texts these random updates. They are quite funny to read and cover a variety of topics: air-conditioning, heat, water, dogs, monks, food, acting, confession, adoration, RAs, professors, campers, etc. Peter is grading his online classes, but also doing daily outings. So both are content. The funny thing is that his cousin will move to Atchison in a few weeks. He is a history professor and got a job at Benedictine.

      Delete
    2. Flora is a good writer and correspondent! And good at observing! She must be a good actor :) That's interesting about his cousin. It'll be nice there for him.

      Delete
    3. She loves to write and share. And I do think she has some talent when it comes to being on a stage. His cousin has lived in Germany for many years now. We got together in 2022 at my parents' house. Now they will be back in the U.S.

      Delete
    4. I think it's nice being in different places . . do you think the cousin feels that way too?

      Delete
    5. I think he really loved his time in Germany. He learned German in college (as did his wife), and their two older children are now in German school and kindergarten. It might be hard for the children to go back to the U.S. All three children were born in Germany :). But the jobs he had were just research jobs, nothing permanent. So they were looking for something else.

      Delete
    6. I wonder if they would consider homeschooling.

      Delete
    7. Not sure, Peter's cousin was homeschooled, but I do not think his wife was. I am not sure if she would enjoy homeschooling.

      Delete

Welcome and leave a comment, if you like. I look forward to reading your lines.

Willkommen auf meinem Blog. Über einen Kommentar würde ich mich sehr freuen.