Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Thanksgiving Preparations/Vorbereitungen für das Erntedankfest

Cranberries
Moosbeeren

Veronika requested cranberry semifreddo for Thanksgiving again.  We made it two years ago and it was very yummy.  Here are our preparations for it.  

Veronika wollte, daß wir wieder Halbgefrorenes für das Erntedankfest machen sollten.  Wir haben es vor zwei Jahren gemacht und es war ganz lecker.  Hier sind unsere Vorbereitungen dafür.  

        
 Whipping the egg whites
Schlagen des Eiweiß

 Stirring of berries and whipping of cream
Rühren der Beeren und Schlagen der Sahne

 Stirring everything together
Alles wird zusammengerührt

Ready to get frozen
Jetzt kann es gefroren werden.

We also ran some errands today, not far, just in the village close by.  They were selling angles for Christmas!  Maybe this should become a new trend, Christmas angles!!  Obtuse angles, right angles, acute angles, etc.   


Jonathan is always hungry when he comes home, so I made a big cauliflower casserole for us.

Jonathan hat immer Hunger, wenn er nach Hause kommt.  Also gab es einen großen Blumenkohlauflauf.  



It is also good to have him home to repair things.  He does not have this skill from his father!

Es ist auch gut ihn zu Hause zu haben, weil er Dinge repariert.  Er hat diese Fähigkeit bestimmt nicht von seinem Vater geerbt!

Peter sent so many more pictures that I have quickly given up on my plan to categorize them in groups of certain people here on my blog.  That would just not work.  So I will try to post a few more pictures from the Wartburg and Eisenach and then just to upload the prettiest of the once he has sent me.  

Peter hat mir so viele neue Fotos geschickt, daß ich gemerkt habe, daß es einfach nicht gehen wird, hier Einträge  nur über bestimmt Personen zu schreiben.  Also versuche ich, ein paar weitere Fotos von der Wartburg und Eisenach hochzuladen und dann einfach die schönsten seiner weiteren Fotos zu zeigen.    

 Martin Luther lived here.
Hier hat Martin Luther gewohnt.  

 Detail



 His study in the Wartburg with his portrait by Cranach.  Here is a bit more about this room.    
Luthers Studierzimmer auf der Wartburg und sein Porträt von Cranach.



 Tile stove
Kachelofen



 Outside of the castle again
Wieder draußen auf der Wartburg



 Cistern: Quite impressive!
Zisterne: Sehr beeindruckend!

 Prison
Gefängnis



 View from one of the towers
Blick von einem der Türme







Statue
Denkmal

And back home: Snow
Und wieder bei uns: Schnee


6 comments:

  1. I think I'll have to show my sister these pictures! How exciting to see where Martin Luther lived! (Spoken like a true Lutheran, I guess :P)

    The cranberry semifreddo looks delicious, as does the cauliflower casserole! (was the casserole a mixture of cauliflower, cheese, tomatoes and parsley?)

    That's very funny that Jonathan did not get his fix-it ability from his Dad :) Did he get it from you?!

    How nice to have Jonathan home, and now I think you will all miss Peter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you should have seen what he sent me today from Wittenberg! They venerate him like a saint there. There was even the handle of his coffin on display!

      The casserole was cauliflower, tomato, cheese, and parsley with a bit of cream on top of a meat loaf layer. It is a German recipe from my childhood and my children just love it. I normally serve it with rice, but you could also eat it with potatoes.

      I am more willing to try to fix things than Peter is, but Jonathan is better than both of us. Peter is more patient in trying to fix things, but I have better ideas on how they could be fixed. So we all complement each other.

      Peter misses us too, especially today, he wrote, but he is coming home soon :).

      Delete
    2. He has been gone awhile . . I think? It'll be nice to have him home again :) Do you have your cauliflower recipe written down? If so, could you take a pic of it and send it to me? It sounds so good, I'd love to try and make it.

      Your family sounds well balanced in the fixing department! Morgana likes to fix things and I miss having her around for that.

      How interesting that there was a handle of Martin Luther's coffin! Was his body transferred at one point, or the handle of his coffin just happened to break off?!

      Delete
    3. He was gone for almost 14 days. This was part of a class on Martin Luther he is teaching this semester.

      Yes, I do have the recipe, but I have to translate it first. It is in German. It is not long and should not take long to translate.

      Doesn't Greg also like to fix things? I thought he was pretty good with those things, no?

      No, his body (and coffin) is in a crypt, but some thieves entered the crypt and stole the handle from the coffin.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing the photos, such fun! Are you a bit jealous, or as happy as I (normally) am, to be able to be back home looking after everyone? When Thierry travels, it is always a mixed bag, but definitely tips in favor of being thankful to be home with the children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I would have liked along because Peter saw a part of Germany I have never seen. It used to be the former East and you were not allowed to travel there when I was growing up. However, I was also glad to have just a few days of quiet time with all children and no teaching/work on campus. I know exactly what you mean, though. It was kind of funny, though. I am here in the country, celebrating an very American day, and Peter is exploring Germany!

      Delete

Welcome and leave a comment, if you like. I look forward to reading your lines.

Willkommen auf meinem Blog. Über einen Kommentar würde ich mich sehr freuen.