Thursday, January 4, 2018

Cold-Colder-The Coldest/Kalt/Kälter/Am kältesten

I drove to ballet today and it was a very difficult drive: Lots of snow blowing and poor visibility.  I was glad that I made it back home!  It is so cold (-6 to 3 degrees) that all schools of Western New York have cancelled lessons for tomorrow.

Jonathan has also been diagnosed with a bronchitis and has to take antibiotics now.  Flora still has a fever. 

I am sitting here writing my syllabi for next semester, which will start Monday.  This is definitely very boring.

Heute bin ich zu Ballett gefahren und die Fahrt war wegen der Schneewehen und der schlechten Sicht sehr schwierig.  Ich war froh, als ich wieder heile zu Hause war.  Es ist sehr kalt (-21 bis -16 Grad), und deshalb haben alle Schulen im Westen von New York den Unterricht abgesagt.

Jonathan muß jetzt auch Antibiotika für eine Bronchitis nehmen.  Er war heute beim Arzt.  Flora hat immer noch ein Fieber.    

Ich sitze hier und schreibe meine Collegelehrpläne für nächstes Semester, das am Montag anfängt.  Diese Aufgabe ist sehr langweilig.  

Today is Elizabeth Ann Seton's feast day.  Here is a short video about her.

Heute feiern wir den Gedenktag von Elisabeth Anna Seton.  Sie war die erste Heilige in den USA, die hier geboren worden ist.    




10 comments:

  1. Weiterhin gute Besserung an alle!
    Hier soll es langsam kälter werden, vielleicht - hoffentlich - wird es dann bei euch dafür wärmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke, Floras Fieber ist heute morgen niedriger und sie ist aufgestanden. Es soll in der Tat am Montag etwas wärmer werden. Ich mußte gerade an die Schweiz denken, weil ich der Kusine meiner Mutter dort geschrieben habe.

      Delete
  2. If you want something to cheer you then there is a quintessential British film entitled "school for scoundrels" starting Ian Carmichael, Terry Thomas and Alistair Sim. You can find it on BBC watch again x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, but unfortunately we cannot access BBC from here. You can only access it within the UK. I checked YouTube, but there are only snippets of it on it.

      Delete
    2. I did wonder if that might be the case. i have encountered a similar problem in wanting to watch an american programme, such a shame. Sending you all a big hug and hope for a speedy recovery from all the sickness. Also:

      Happy Birthday Jonathan!!!!!!

      Delete
    3. There is a great French BBC program we used in London, but we cannot watch it here. I have similar issues with some Swiss, Austrian, and German things I cannot see here. I guess we are not quite "global." We are kind of doing better, Charlotte is not feeling so well and Flora has a sore throat. Jonathan is at the physical therapist (he had a 7:15 a.m. appointment!). Just Peter seems to be well.

      We did celebrate Jonathan's birthday, he is 20 now, not a teen anymore! I have to sort through my pictures and post some.

      Delete
  3. Yes, it is sooo cold! I hope you were able to finish your syllabi so that it is done with. And I hope that Jonathan gets over his bronchitis quickly.

    I liked learning abouat Elizabeth Ann Seton. I remember always noticing her chapel/statue in St.Patrick's when my parents would take me to visit as a child. We used to also have an Elizabeth Ann Seton Birthing Center on 14th Street that I remember visiting years ago. I don't think it's there anymore, however.

    I like the new pictures you put up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now our cold water stopped working in the bathroom downstairs and Peter is in San Diego!
      I have not finished my syllabus at all. Jonathan is slowly getting better, but Charlotte got sick. I myself did not feel very good yesterday. And Julius has some kind of ear ache or something. He is tilting his head and pulling on his ear. It is all pretty depressing. Only Flora does not have a fever anymore. Our house is a mess, I am still trying to get all my Christmas mail out of the house and my grandfather's cousin died yesterday. We went to visit her last summer and she was always fond of the children and wrote letters with them.

      I am glad you liked the video about Elizabeth Ann Seton. She must have been a very interesting woman. It would be nice to visit her shrine.

      Some of my older pictures over a year old, time for a change :).

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks so much (from Jonathan). Er ist jetzt ein alter Mann. Deswegen mußte er heute auch zur Krankengymnastik (sein Knie).

      Delete

Welcome and leave a comment, if you like. I look forward to reading your lines.

Willkommen auf meinem Blog. Über einen Kommentar würde ich mich sehr freuen.