Thursday, July 7, 2016

Nesthäkchen



We are still cleaning up and cleaning here and that will stay like that for a while.  No pictures right now, because who wants to see pictures of books being moved from one shelf to the other?  But I thought I would share one of our current read-alouds.  My children gave me the German series Nesthäkchen for my birthday, all volumes in the old edition!  I found a wonderful lady who sent me her books from Germany to the U.S.  I did have the first three books, but not the others.  Right now, we are reading book 4, Nesthäkchen and the World War, a description of WWI.  It is quite interesting to note, that this book was banned by the allied forces after 1945 because it was too patriotic and glorifying war.  We are halfway through the book, but I see no difference in patriotism and war description from our American history books.  And the book does show the ugly side of the war.  Here is a Kirkus review of this particular volume.  The fate of the author, Else Ury, is also not very widely known.  It is just too sad and horrible how she died.  You can read about her here.

Wir räumen immer noch um und auf und das wird auch eine Weile so bleiben.  Daher mache ich im Moment auch keine Fotos.  Wer will auch Fotos sehen, die zeigen, wie man Bücher von einem Regal aufs andere räumt?  Aber ich wollte erwähnen, daß eines unserer Vorlesebücher im Moment Band 4 der Nesthäkchenreihe ist.  Meine Kinder haben mir alle Bände zum Geburtstag geschenkt.  Die ersten drei hatte ich schon, doch die anderen hat ihnen eine sehr nette Dame aus Deutschland verkauft, die sie sogar nach Amerika geschickt hat.  Es sind noch alte Bücher mit unverändertem Wortlaut!  Band 4 heißt "Nesthäkchen und der Weltkrieg" und beschreibt den Ersten Weltkrieg.  Dieser Band war von den allierten Mächten nach 1945 verboten worden, weil er zu patriotisch war.  Wir haben fast die Hälfte des Buches gelesen, aber ich sehe keinen Unterschied zu dem Patriotismus in unseren amerikanischen Geschichtsbücher.  Ury beschreibt auch die traurigen Seiten des Krieges.  Angemerkt sei auch noch das Schicksals der Autorin: Als Jüdin mußte sie in Auschwitz sterben.  Hier ist ein interesanter Artikel über ihr Werk und Leben.        


5 comments:

  1. That is very sad. :( And ironic that is was banned considering the author. I need to get organized as well. The house is cluttered, but I find little energy to keep up with it. When I turned 50, it was like I sprung an energy leak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought turning 40 started all kinds of ailments and the cloer I get to 50 to less energy I have also. So I completely sympathize. Good luck with the clean up! Right now, it looks like a tornado has gone through our house, horrible!

      Delete
  2. I definitely agree with that energy leak at 50 :( It's really very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and leave a comment, if you like. I look forward to reading your lines.

Willkommen auf meinem Blog. Über einen Kommentar würde ich mich sehr freuen.