Saturday, April 21, 2012

Baptismal Anniversary/Tauftagjubiläum

After ironing for 5 hours today (now you know what kind of a negligent housewife I am), we found some time to remember Jonathan's and Miriam's baptismal days with a blessing and a prayer. 

Nachdem ich 5 Stunden lang heute gebügelt habe (jetzt wissen alle, was für eine nachlässige Hausfrau ich bin), haben wir ein wenig Zeit gehabt, und mit einer kleinen Andacht an Jonathans und Miriams Tauftag zu denken. 

Jonathan's candle is on the left, Miriam's on the right.  (Jonathan was baptized in Indiana, Miriam was baptized here in New York).

Jonathans Kerze ist links, Miriams rechts. (Jonathan ist in Indiana getauft worden, Miriam hier in New York).


I made the baptismal gown, my mother made the baptismal stole./Ich habe das Taufkleid genäht, meine Mutter hat die Taufstola genäht und bestickt. 


This baptismal gown used to be my grandfather's.  Again, my mother made the stole./ Dieses Taufkleid hat meinem Großvater gehört.  Meine Mutter hat auch diese Stola gemacht. 






6 comments:

  1. Eva
    Both dresses and stoles are beautiful! You are so good remembering baptismal dates, I've made it as far as writing a calendar of dates (actually I got my oldest dd to do it) but still haven't celebrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Erin! It has taken me many years to actually do a little prayer/blessing ceremony for these days. These dates used to be just on my calendar, but I didn't do anything about them. We hope to add a renewal of the baptismal vows for the older children soon. A visit to the church would be also nice, but that is something we haven't done so far. Once you start doing it for one child, the others will remind you quickly when their day is coming up -- then you will have to do it. Yesterday, Flora said that our little ceremony was as nice as Christmas. That was a huge compliment I thought.

      Delete
  2. yes, a very huge compliment from flora! their baptismal clothes are beautiful. your little ceremony is lovely. many blessings to all of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Dorina, these simple remembrances mean a lot to the children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I had forgotten about this tradition. Thanks for sharing it. I've gone back to visit my baptismal parish and see my name on the registry. It's a wonderful feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea, going back to your own baptismal parish. I have never been to mine and don't remember it because I was too little and then we moved away. We have taken Jonathan and Charlotte back to theirs, though. We stop by almost every year on our way to the grandparents. We sometimes attend Mass there also.

      Delete

Welcome and leave a comment, if you like. I look forward to reading your lines.

Willkommen auf meinem Blog. Über einen Kommentar würde ich mich sehr freuen.