Sunday, November 14, 2010

New Religious Readings/Neue religiöse Lektüre


Saint Elizabeth's Three Crowns (Vision Books Series)Catholic Tales for Boys and GirlsOur religious read-aloud for this Sunday was a story from Catholic Tales for Boys and Girls.  We read this book several years ago, but are reading it again because the children like it so much.  Jonathan started a new saint's biography: Saint Elizabeth's Three Crowns (Vision Books Series) and Charlotte started St. Rose of Lima: The Story of the First Canonized Saint of the Americas (Stories of the Saints for Young People Ages 10 to 100).  Miriam is working her way through Saint Peter the ApostleSaint Peter the Apostle (Pack of 10).
St. Rose of Lima: The Story of the First Canonized Saint of the Americas (Stories of the Saints for Young People Ages 10 to 100)
The best event today was that my dear husband came back home after a long trip to Boston.  He attended a conference to give a paper, but also had time to take a look at used books.  He found a hardcover copy of The Burgess Seashore Book for Children!

We also had a beautiful rainbow in the sky today, although my camera wasn't able to catch the beauty of it. 



Unser religiöses Vorlesebuch für heute war eine Geschichte aus Catholic Tales for Boys and Girls.  Wir haben dieses Buch schon vor einigen Jahren gelesen, aber den Kindern hat es so gut gefallen, daß wir es nochmal lesen.  Jonathan hat heute eine neue Heiligenbiographie angefangen.  Er liest jetzt über die heilige Elisabeth in Saint Elizabeth's Three Crowns (Vision Books Series).  Charlotte liest im Moment über eine Heilige aus Südamerika, nämlich über Rosa von Lima in St. Rose of Lima: The Story of the First Canonized Saint of the Americas (Stories of the Saints for Young People Ages 10 to 100).  Miriam liest immer noch St. Peter the Apostle

Das schönste Ereignis heute war die Rückkehr meines Mannes nach einem längeren Aufenthalt in Boston.  Er hat dort an einer Konferenz teilgenommen und einen Vortrag gehalten, aber auch noch Zeit gefunden, in Antiquitätsläden nach alten Büchern zu fahnden.  So fand er eine schöne gebundenen Ausgabe von The Burgess Seashore Book for Children.  Von Burgess gibt es auf Deutsch kaum etwas, hier ist ein Buch, welches aber für jüngere Kinder zu sein scheint.  Viele seiner Bücher vermitteln Naturkunde im Geschichtenformat.

Es gab heute auch draußen einen wundervollen Regenbogen, leider konnte meine Digitalkamera ihn aber nicht so leuchtend fotografieren, wie er hier aussah.     




Free Signature Generator

4 comments:

  1. hello eva! i have a question about latin: do you have a reason why you chose lingua latina rather than prima latina or latina christiana 1?

    also,(1) i chose italian because i grew up hearing my grandmother speak it to my dad, but never learned it myself; (2) at the time we began, there was a lovely woman from bologna tutoring homeschoolers in italian. she would come to our home and work with my three girls and their good friend, deychen. we've continued because both korrina and morgana traveled in modena and rome a few years ago, and they love the language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're using "Lingua Latina" because it was recommended by William E. Linney, the author of "Getting Started with Latin." We use that book as our first Latin book starting in grade 4. Linney recommends to continue Latin with "The First Year of Latin" and use "Lingua Latina" as an additional book. There are free lectures to accompany "The First Year of Latin," but I haven't had a chance to download them. So our goal is to use both books in the near future. So far, Jonathan really likes "Lingua Latina" and is learning a lot. The approach is very different to how I learned Latin in school (grades 7 through 13). I don't know if it would be possible to just use "Lingua Latina" or not. Maybe it depends on the child.

    I looked at "Prima Latina" and "Latina Christiana," but didn't like the fact that there was so much writing involved. The books just looked tedious to me and Jonathan when he was younger. "Getting Started with Latin" can be done orally and doesn't take very long. I think the "Henle" Latin course is similar to Linney's lectures on "The First Year of Latin," but Linney's materials are free!

    I normally start Latin in grade three with the CDs and picture books from Bolchazy-Carducci called "I Am Reading Latin." Then I move on to "Getting Started with Latin" in grade 4.

    Thanks for replying to the Italian question. I've "only" been to Verona, but thought it very nice. I traveled in Northern Italy with my family when I was 14, but that part is German speaking. Too bad that the woman from Bologna doesn't tutor anymore. It's so much nicer to have a real person to teach a foreign language. Isn't there an Italian consulate in New York that offers classes or activities? I know there's a German one with a library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have Catholic Tales for Boys and Girls, and some of the Vision books - great reading. Caryl Houselander is one of my favorites.

    I wish I had that Saint Elizabeth book for today! Isn't she a wonderful saint? Another favorite of ours is from the Americas, St. Martin DePorres.

    I found a site that has Saint of the Day for children. I've begun printing these out for my son.

    Nice old book find! I found two vintage children's books this past weekend. One is a 1920's Childcraft history and the other a 1960 picture history of Western Civ. I was surprised when my five year old daughter picked it up and went through it with interest! It's fun to see the little ones'interests and personalities unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, I like Martin de Porres also.



    Alexandra, which site are you using for the saints? We always read the saint of the day from Saints for Young Readers for Every Day.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and leave a comment, if you like. I look forward to reading your lines.

Willkommen auf meinem Blog. Über einen Kommentar würde ich mich sehr freuen.