Friday, February 21, 2014

Birthday Girl/Geburtstagsmädchen


Flora took this picture
Foto, von Flora aufgenommen

Peter kept calling me the birthday girl today, so I thought I should title my post like this.  Had a wonderful day with a phone call from Great Britain (what a wonderful surprise, San), a phone call from Germany (danke, liebe Eltern), and quite a few cards and e-cards.  In between teaching we managed to go to the café on campus and also have a celebration at home.  A lady we didn't know bought some scones for the children because they were so well behaved.  Here at home all children cleaned up the living-room for me and did the kitchen after lunch so that I could take a nap.  Right now Charlotte is doing the kitchen again while I am here with Flora, who is supposed to go to sleep.  

 Enjoying hot chocolate
Heiße Schokolade!



 Playing in front of café
Spiel vor dem Café

Some students built a snow unicorn
Einige Studenten haben ein Einhorn aus Schnee gebaut.

Peter hat mich heute den ganzen Tag das "Geburtstagsmädchen" genannt, so habe ich gedacht, ich sollte meinen Eintrag so nennen.  Es war ein schöner Tag mit einem Überraschungsanruf aus Großbritannien und einem Telefonat mit meinen Eltern aus Deutschland.  Dazu kamen noch viele Karten und E-Karten.  Zwischen dem Unterrichten von Peter und mir haben wir es geschafft, das College Café zu besuchen und auch zu Hause zu feiern.  Im Café hat eine unbekannte Dame den Kindern Teilchen gekauft, weil sie so lieb waren.  Hier zu Hause haben alle Kinder das Wohnzimmer ganz toll aufgeräumt und die Küche gemacht, damit ich einen Mittagsschlaf halten konnte.  Jetzt macht Charlotte wieder die Küche und ich bin bei Flora, damit sie einschläft.  

 Opening presents
Aufmachen der Geschenke


 A funny note from Peter
Eine lustiger "Brief" von Peter

Flour-less coconut chocolate cake
Kokos-Schokoladenkuchen ohne Mehl


18 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures! I was so happy to find out it was your birthday and it was lovely to speak with you.

    I hope the children enjoyed their scones!

    Love San xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your call was the biggest surprise on my birthday! Thanks so much again. The children enjoyed them and were glad to get a treat.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday, Eva! Your day sounds beautiful! Abundant love and blessings this new year!-- With love, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! Alles Liebe und Gute zum Geburtstag!
    mit vielen Grüssen von uns allen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Das sieht nach einem genussvollen wunderschönen Tag aus! Nochmals herzliche Glückwünsche liebe Eva!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke für die dreifachen Grüße, so wie in dem Lied "Hoch soll sie leben, dreimal hoch". Deine Fischkarte ist so schön!

      Delete
  5. Alles Gute zum Geburtstag! Ein interessanter Kuchen...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, Barbara. I did have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Danke Bernice, der Kuchen war sehr lecker. Ich koche und backe gern ohne Getreide.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh da habe ich glatt Deinen Geburtstag verpasst!! Nachträglich meine herzlichen Glückwünsche! Alles Liebe, Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankeschön! Februargeburtstage gehen immer irgendwie leicht unter, besonders in der Karnevalszeit.

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday, Eva! Your day sounds so nice. I like the nap part . . :) It's nice when the children take care of things for us. They're the nicest gifts, yes? I am going to send you a little something from the West Village. (I like picking these things out). You can have another little birthday moment when it arrives :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dorina. Oh, yes, children are gifts. Did you know that "Jonathan" means "gift from God"? Sometimes these gifts make us go places mentally, physically, and emotionally we never thought of going. That can be an adventure, but also difficult at times.

      I'll be looking forward to your gift. That reminds me, I have to put a sign at our door to tell the mailman not to open it. When we are not at home, he simply opens the door and puts packages into the living-room, but right now the floor has to dry.

      Delete
    2. Oh, to live in the country where your mailman can just leave your package in the living room or front hallway!

      I'm sorry. I haven't gotten it out, yet. This diet and going out to my mom's has put me off kilter, along with Jack who wakes anywhere between 3 am and 5 am to eat and go out. He "wanders" a lot. My vet says this is normal :) I think elderly people do also.

      Delete
    3. When I was in Canada in 1986 it was the same there. Everything was fairly safe. I don't think you could do that up in the big cities, though.

      Do you have to take him out at that time then? My grandmother had the same. She left the nursing home during that time and fell badly. She lost consciousness and never regained it. Several months after that she died. I never was able to talk to her again because she also stopped talking and eating after that fall. That was very sad. I flew over with Veronika to see her (Veronika was still a baby). She did squeeze my hand, though. So I was glad she seemed to recognize me although I never heard her voice again.

      Delete

Welcome and leave a comment, if you like. I look forward to reading your lines.

Willkommen auf meinem Blog. Über einen Kommentar würde ich mich sehr freuen.