Friday, October 18, 2013

Little Helper/Kleine Helferin



Flora has been very eager to make sure that we all help St. Michael by doing good deeds.  Each year on Michaelmas I put up our balance scale and put a heavy stone on one side, symbolizing the evil.  The children then try to help St. Michael by doing extra chores or good deeds.  Each time you get to put a small "jewel" on the other side.  This year our "evil" stone is very heavy and it seems to be taking a long time for the scale to tip the other way.  So Flora decided to clear the table after lunch and tidy up the kitchen.  I was very skeptical, but she told me I was to take a nap.  Later I found her at the kitchen sink doing the dishes.  What a sweet girl I have.  I then helped her with drying the dishes.  She was very proud when I told her she could add several "jewels" to the left side of the scale for all her great work.


Flora ist sehr eifrig dabei, wenn es darum geht, dem heiligen Michael mit guten Taten zu helfen.  Jedes Jahr zu Michaeli stelle ich unsere Waage auf und lege einen großen, schweren Stein, welcher das Böse in der Welt symbolisiert, auf die eine Seite.  Die Kinder versuchen dann  durch gute Taten die Waage ins Gleichgewicht zu bringen, bzw. den schweren Stein nach unten zu bringen.  Jede extra Aufgabe oder gute Tat erlaubt das Auflegen eines "Juwels" in die andere Waagschale.  Dieses Jahr ist unser Stein besonders schwer und hat sich noch nicht so viel bewegt.  Also hat Flora beschlossen, alleine den Tisch nach dem Mittagessen abzuräumen und die Küche zu machen.  Ich war sehr skeptisch, aber sie sagte mir, ich solle einen Mittagsschlaf halten.  Später stand sie dann in der Küche am Spülbecken und war dabei, abzuwaschen.  Was für eine liebe Maus!  Ich habe ihr mit dem Abtrocknen geholfen.  Sie war ganz glücklich, als ich ihr dann sagte, sie dürfe mehrere "Juwelen" in die Waagschale legen, da sie so viel getan habe.  


 

6 comments:

  1. Eva,

    I love your Michaelmas tradition. And Flora is beautiful. I wonder if she likes to imitate her older siblings. I bet they are all very helpful and loving. Did you manage to get a nap before returning to help with the dishes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, yes, I did get a 10 minute nap, all the time subconsciously waiting for a dish to break, but nothing broke. Flora does watch everything and everybody very closely and then imitates a lot.

      Delete
  2. Hi Eva! This is a wonderful picture! That is so thoughtful of Flora to offer you a nap :) Mamas can almost always use a nap! I especially live the flowing soap suds!

    Also, your Michaelmas tradition of the balance, stone, and jewels is a great idea. I really your set up. Hmmm, we have a balance with our math manipulatives! How long do you leave up your Michaelmas balance and Holy card?

    Have a blessed weekend! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do try to get a nap after kitchen-clean up after lunch, but sometimes I am more tired than usual and wish to take a nap before kitchen-clean up. That was the case on the day Flora offered to help. She did make a watery mess, but I didn't say anything so I would not destroy all her love, effort, and good work.

      I leave it up until the scale tips the right way, normally it goes pretty fast, after about two weeks, but this year the stone is much heavier. The latest I put it away is the last day of October.

      It is a lovely and very useful tradition.

      Delete
  3. I tried leaving a comment this morning but had difficulties! Well done Flora being such a helpful girl, you certainly deserved those extra jewels, St Michael would be proud!

    San xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I changed the setting options a bit, now anonymous readers cannot leave comments anymore. Maybe that was the reason.

      Thanks for your kind words. Flora loves to help and do good. She has a BIG heart.

      Delete

Welcome and leave a comment, if you like. I look forward to reading your lines.

Willkommen auf meinem Blog. Über einen Kommentar würde ich mich sehr freuen.